Sunday, April 1, 2012

Adventures in Nasal Cleansing


This is my brand new Netti Pot.  Ever since I started yoga training I have been hearing about the wonders of the Netti pot and  nasal cleansing.  "It will change your life", they said.  I resisted.  The thought of pouring water in one nostril and having it come out the other nostril just sounded unnatural.  The talk continued.  For allergies, for colds, it just makes sense... we clean our mouths, why not our noses, add turmeric as an anti bacterial, etc, etc. 

Then one day I was in class and just feeling kind of lousy.  I felt like I had a cold coming for weeks that just wouldn't go away.  My teacher asked if I was putting turmeric in my Netti.  I confessed that I didn't own a Netti pot.   Once again the virtues of the Netti were presented. 

That evening on my way home I stopped by vitamin cottage and bought, you guessed a Netti pot.  I bought the cheap plastic travel one in case I hated it, I didn't want to throw down more than a few bucks. 

So the next morning I got up and boiled some water because there was no way that I was going to have any brain eating bacteria in my nasal passages.  I added the salt and let it cool to approximately body temperature.  Step two, I went into the bathroom, tilted my head and shoved the end of the spout up my nose.  At first it felt like the water was heading up into my sinuses but then, the water started pouring out the other nostril.  Success!  I continued on the other side.  I had it down, I didn't drown and it was relatively easy. 

So using the Netti every day, no big deal.  It takes less time than brushing your teeth.  But.....one morning, I forgot to boil the water before I took the dog out.  Completely ruined my timing.  I still have to get to work you know.  Apparently, I didn't let the water cool long enough.  I poured the (way too warm) water into my nostril and thought I was going to burn off my nose from the inside out.  I'm sure it wasn't as hot as I thought but from the inside of my nose I couldn't tell that.  I immediately stopped and added some cold water from the tap, brain eating bacteria be damned, my nose is on fire!

In case you are contemplating beginning this practice her are some helpful tips;
  1. Boil the water, brain eating bacteria is nothing to fool with.
  2. Make sure the water is neither too hot or too cold, both are uncomfortable. (hot is worse)
  3. Don't forget to add the salt.
  4. Make sure you have tissues close by.
I'm not sure that nasal cleansing has changed my life but I think I'm breathing better and my nose feels less dry.  I don't feel like I have a cold anymore, and it's not uncomfortable or time consuming so I will continue.   The real test will come in August....allergy season.

No comments:

Post a Comment